Optical windows are typically fabricated from two flat, or commonly referred to as plano, polished surfaces that are optically transparent and intended to separate, seal, or otherwise protect other components. The double-sided manufacturing process yields exceptional parallelism and transmitted wavefront making it ideal for visible windows in industrial and biomedical applications, as well as IR windows in infrared and military/defense applications.
Based upon decades of experience, and expertise in medical, defense, industrial and scientific fields, and with the largest collection of double-sided grinding and polishing machines in North America, Sydor Optics can fabricate and manufacture custom IR, UV and visible windows in a variety of custom sizes, shapes, and substrates.
- High-volume capabilities
- Exceptional parallelism and transmitted wavefront
- Diameter up to 750mm
- Thickness up to 100mm
Available Optical Substrate Types
Based upon customer demand, Sydor Optics offers Optical Windows made from the following optical substrate materials. Of course, if you don’t see a material you need, please contact a Sales Engineer, who will gladly discuss additional options that may be available.
- Array (  => 15  => 19  => 90 )CrystalPopular Materials
- Display Glass
- Fused QuartzFused Quartz is made using high quality, natural quartz powders with several fusion methods. Quartz material is stronger than glass, can be used at high temperatures (<1050°C) and has a high average transmission of over 80% from 260nm to 2500nm. The various qualities of fused quartz allow for use in a wide range of applications from semiconductor applications to lower precision window applications in hostile environments.
- Heraeus HOQ 310
- Heraeus INFRASIL 301, 302
- Heraeus TSC Series
- Momentive i21 (Previously GE 124)
- Ohara SK-4304, SK-4306
- Tosoh N, OP, S Series
- Fused Silica
- Corning HPFS 7979 (UV & IR Grades)
- Corning HPFS 7980 (ArF Grade)
- Corning HPFS 7980 (KrF Grade)
- Corning HPFS 7980 (Standard Grade)
- Corning HPFS 8655
- Heraeus HOMOSIL 101, HERASIL 102
- Heraeus SUPRASIL 1, 2 (Grade A & B)
- Heraeus SUPRASIL 3001, 3002
- Heraeus SUPRASIL 311, 312
- Heraeus SUPRASIL 313
- Nikon NIFS (V, A, U, S Grade)
- Ohara SK-1300
- Ohara SK-1310
- Ohara SK-1320
- Tosoh ES, ED-H Series
- Array (  => 17  => 18  => 21  => 22  => 43  => 44 )IR Materials
- Zinc Selenide
- Low Expansion
- Optical Glass
|Length / Width||≤ 600mm x 450mm|
|Thickness Tolerance||± 0.01mm|
|Cosmetics (MIL-PRF-13830B)||60-40 to 10-5|
|Surface Roughness||≥ 3 Ǻ rms|
|Parallelism||≥ 1 arc second|
|Reflected Wavefront Error (RWE) - before coating||≥ 1/20 wave over clear aperture|
|Transmitted Wavefront Error (TWE) - before coating *Interferometric Scale Factor (ISF) of 0.5 – Single-Pass||≥ 1/20 wave over clear aperture|
|Clear Aperture||≤ 95%|
Types of Optical Windows
Ultraviolet windows are often used with laser instruments or other applications in medical, industrial and defense areas. Sydor Optics can help determine the best substrates, UV coatings, and other optical properties and custom manufacture UV windows to best meet your specific requirements and applications. Anti-Reflective (AR) coating is available for one or both surfaces.
Visible windows are designed for use in the visible spectrum: the type of light visible to the human eye. Visible windows are ideal for protecting optical systems and other optical components, imaging or display systems, or other applications. Sydor Optics can custom manufacture visible windows in a variety of shapes, sizes, and substrates for various optics applications, including those with extreme temperatures or other challenging conditions. AR coating is available for one or both surfaces.
Infrared (IR) Windows
Infrared windows are often used in FLIR, FTIR spectroscopy, medical systems, thermal imaging, or other optics applications within the infrared light spectrum. IR windows can help protect your employees and equipment. Sydor Optics can custom manufacture IR windows in a variety of shapes, sizes, substrates, and coatings for various infrared applications. AR coating is available for one or both surfaces.
Some of the standard optical window shapes that Sydor Optics customers frequently order include:
- Circular Windows
- Square Windows
- Rectangular Windows
- Elliptical Windows